A Stroll Down Michigan Avenue


I recently visited my hometown of Grayling, Michigan after not being there for 20 years! I wasn't sure what it would look like downtown. Downtown in the small town I grew up in was only two blocks long and I had heard a lot of stores and restaurants had closed. 


My first stop was Dawson & Stevens Classic Diner, the place I worked as a soda jerk over 50 years ago.  I loved the Coca Cola memorabilia decor. The menu really surprised me as when I worked there all we offered was soda fountain items, sandwiches, steamed cinnamon rolls and flavored colas. Now they serve hamburgers, fries, sandwiches, soup, and much more. Before the week was over I was there four times meeting with family and friends.

Patsy Wiseman Snider, me, Jill Jones, and Linda Smock Mires
Can't even number the soda, sundaes, and banana splits I made here!

I saw the Grayling Restaurant and came back another day to have breakfast there. I walked through the art gallery and enjoyed looking at the paintings.


When I got to the end of downtown I was very sad to see the Shoppenagon Hotel was in such bad condition. Fifty years ago it was a beautiful hotel and restaurant. My Grandma Wheeler was a chef there for years, my Grandpa Wheeler worked at the hotel desk when he retired from the railroad, and my mother and some of my aunts worked as waitresses at the hotel restaurant. I even washed dishes there a few times during their busy season. I am believing that someone will turn that place back into its former grandeur as it has so much history that needs to be preserved.

I went to AuSable Gifts, the gift store behind the hotel and bought all seven of my grandchildren some Petoskey stones and small cards with an explanation on the stones. I also bought my granddaughter a cute cedar box with a princess and butterflies on top. I had a cedar box when I was growing up and loved that fragrance whenever I opened it. This was a fun store to stroll through. A couple days later I took my cousin there and she bought several type stones for her grandkids.


 
Petoskey stones, one side polished the other side not

My last stop on that side of the street was the Grayling Depot and the wonderful historical museum.  I really enjoyed the museum! 





When I walked down the other side of Michigan Avenue I saw a sign in a window, "closed due to family emergency." I thought only in a small town would you see a sign like that and the business closed.

Another store I enjoyed was Flowers by Josie/Thanks a Latte, the flower shop that also serves lattes. This building had been the Grayling Bank back in the '50s. That is where I opened my first checking and passbook saving accounts. I loved seeing the Grayling State Bank sign displayed in the store. I had asked someone how far I would have to go to get a Starbucks and he said not in Grayling so it was nice finding the coffee shop atmosphere and Wi-Fi at Flowers by Josie. 



I walked past what use to be the Avalanche and remembered my Aunt Blanche and her children Patricia and Michael lived in the upstairs apartment. I always enjoyed going to visit them and walking that narrow long stairway to get to their front door. My aunt had a women's dress store called Shirley's in the 1950's.

It was sad to see some of the stores closed up and others just closed for the day. But all in all I believe that downtown Michigan Avenue in Grayling, Michigan still has a charming small town flavor. It was a fun experience window shopping as well as purchasing items back in my hometown! This last picture is my husband (on the left) and my sister's husband patiently waiting for us as we finished our stroll down Michigan Avenue!

My hubby on the left and brother-in-law on the right

 





Comments

  1. Very Nice.
    AJ Wilcox

    ReplyDelete
  2. nice article. I wish it would have worked out with me at the Mercantile. I still long to have a retail store. It is in my blood. Some day.
    Dick Joseph

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Timing is everything! Hold on to your dream!!

      Delete
  3. Lynn! It was great to see you and thank you for sharing your blog...very nice!!

    Tina (Papendick) Bassett

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thx for the stroll down memory lane. I worked at Chief Shoppenegon myself for 2 years and it really was a classy hotel in its day. I remember serving the buffet on Saturday nights carving roast beef. Some of the best I've ever had to this day. Permed my first charge account at the Merchantile at age 15 where i bought all my clothes, in addition to Olsens. Still remember going to the hardware near Chief Shoppenegon in 1967 where my dad bought me my first 22 rifle. Still remember the old jail before they tore it down and built the Grayling State Bank. My dad use to have all the old jail keys, don't know what he ever did with them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ken, you have a lot of great memories of our hometown! I agree that Chief Shoppenegon Hotel was a classy place in its day. Thanks for sharing!

      Delete
  5. Very nice and thank you for sharing your visit with all of us, I enjoyed reading all of it. A cousin of mine used to work at Stevens back in the 50's as well, her name is Gay Lynn Merithew, I believe she worked in the kitchen. Again,Thank you for sharing..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rose, thank for the nice comment! I don't remember your cousin but it could have been before or after the time I worked there.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts