How to Find Balance in an Unbalanced World.

When I first went into full-time ministry almost 30 years ago I read a book that helped me pace myself. The name of the book is the Rhythm of Life by Richard Exley. He said you need to find the rhythm in four areas of your life - work, rest, worship, and play.

The first section of the book talked about work and because I am a type-A personality and have strong work ethics I was agreeing with everything he said. I have always been a self-starter and work until the job is done. I will give you an example of my work ethics.  When my husband and I had been married for about four years we lived in a new residential area of Dallas, Texas.  All the couples were about our age and we would have block parties.  One night we were with some friends and we played the, "The Newlywed Game" which was a popular television show in the late '60s.  When my husband had to answer the question on what my hobby was he thought and thought and finally said, "I think her hobby is cleaning the house as that is usually what she does when she comes home from work." I was not happy with his answer and I can remember when we got home I told him he made me sound so boring. But if I had been honest with myself I would have seen that work did consume me.


The second section was about rest. I have never had a problem sleeping and I usually fall asleep quickly after my head hits the pillow.  However the first few years in ministry I would work in my sleep. One day I jokingly told our church administrator that I thought I should get a raise, because I worked all day and worked all night in my sleep. However in my dreams things would never go right and I would do them over and over. So needless to say I didn't wake up feeling rested and refreshed.  We not only need rest for our bodies but we need rest for our minds and emotions.  


The third section was about worship. He talked about worship as being a lifestyle. It is not just attending church, singing hymns and praise and worship songs but it is being a person who recognized that God is their creator and He has created a wonderful world for us to enjoy. Learning that it is not all about the formality of worship but a living, vital, relationship with Jesus Christ my Lord and Savior. Worship is being a grateful person for all that God has provided for us and not being a complainer and whiner. Worship is about being a thankful person for all that God has done for us and provided for us.




The fourth section was about the play. This was the hardest section for me and I cried through this portion of the book as I realized I had never learned to play. I made a project out of everything I did. I didn't have any spontaneity about me. Much of this was because of my upbringing.  I was the oldest of four children, one brother 2 years younger, a sister eight years younger, and another brother ten years younger.  My mom had some health issues so it required me to take on a substitute parenting role with my siblings.  When I was 8 years old I began to cook, clean, and care for them.  I never resented them for not having the opportunity to have a carefree childhood. Unfortunately I learned years later that I had what was called a hyper sense of responsibility because I wasn't given small doses of responsibility but a large amount of responsibility at a young age. I can remember when we would take our girls on vacation I would have everything scheduled out, where we would go sightseeing, what time to get up, and where to eat. I would have the girls make their beds and we would clean up the hotel room before we headed out for the day. One day they said, "Mom, can't we relax, we are on vacation. Can we maybe sleep in, not make our bed, and maybe go swimming in the pool before breakfast." I guess I did have too regimented of a schedule so I loosened up and they enjoyed themselves so much more. 

I would encourage you to look at these four areas of your life and see how balanced you are in your work, rest, worship, and play.

Here are a few scriptures that have helped me find the rhythm in my life:

Isaiah 33:6 - Wisdom and knowledge will be the stability of your times.

Isaiah 26:3 - You will keep him in perfect peace, whose mind is stayed on You.

John 14:27 - Peace I leave with you, The peace I give to you; not as the world gives do I give to you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid.


Proverbs 14:30 - A peaceful heart leads to a healthy body.

John 15:7 - If you abide in Me, and My words abide in you, you will ask what you desire, and it shall be done for you.

Isaiah 41:10 - Fear not, for I am with you; be not dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you, yes, I will help you, I will uphold you with my righteous right hand. 

Psalm 34:8 - Oh, taste and see that the Lord is good; blessed is the man who trusts in Him!

Psalm 84:11 - No good thing will He withhold from those who walk uprightly.

Psalm 118:14 - The Lord is my strength and song, and He has become my salvation.

Psalm 122:1 - I was glad when they said to me, "Let us go into the house of the Lord."

Hebrews 10:25 - not forsaking the assembling of ourselves together.

Psalm 139:14 - I will praise You, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made; marvelous are Your works.

Psalm 150:6 - Let everything that has breath praise the Lord!

Proverbs 16:3 - Commit your works to the Lord, and your thoughts will be established.

Proverbs 21:5 - The plans of the diligent lead surely to plenty.

Proverbs 28:20 - A faithful man will abound with blessings.

Matthew 6:33 - But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness and all things shall be added to you.

Matthew 11:28 - Come to Me, all who labor and are heavily laden, and I will give you rest. 

Philippians 4:13 - I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Philippians 2:13 - for it is God who works in you both to will and to do for His good pleasure.

Philippians 1:6 - being confident of this very thing, that He who began a good work in you will complete it until the day of Jesus Christ.

Until next time remember, most of life is every day!












  


 
 



Comments

Popular Posts