Sunday Dinner at Grandma's House



I have wonderful memories of Sunday dinner at my grandma's house. My grandma was a wonderful cook. When she was newly married she was a cook in the lumber camps in northern Michigan. After she raised her six children she was a hotel chef at the Chief Shoppnegon Hotel in Grayling, Michigan. She made cooking and baking look so easy. Her pies would melt in your mouth.


Back when I was growing up eating together as a family was a regular event. Most Sundays she made a beef and pork roast, mashed potatoes, brown gravy, homemade biscuits, corn, green beans, jello salad, and pies and ice cream for dessert. I think I loved all her pies except mincemeat pie. 

Grandma on the right, Mother on the left and I am in red dress and pearls.
She had a table that would seat 20 or more. Every family member that lived in town or those who came for the weekend always gathered at Grandma and Pa's house for dinner. She didn't have the children sit at a separate table - they would sit with the adults. We would have three or four generations all eating and talking at the same time. Maybe we hadn't seen a particular relative all week but when we all congregated at her house she was reinforcing the important of family time and how we should never get so busy that we don't take time for those we call family. 

Grandma at head of table in her white apron

Another family dinner.

Look at all the yummy food!
When dinner was over we all helped clean up and do the dishes. Those were the days before dishwashers when the conversations would continue as we washed and dried the dishes. 

My aunts continued visiting during dinner cleanup!
I have never struggled with a sense of belonging and always felt connected to my natural family as well as those who are my brothers and sisters in the Lord. I believe that strong sense of family was instilled in me at a young age at those wonderful Sunday family dinners.

I think this is one of the reasons the show Duck Dynasty is such a hit. Regardless of what goes on in their lives and the personality conflicts they may have, at the end of the day they come together as family, to pray together and eat together.  

I know that in this day and age families are often scattered all over the country and often this doesn't work for your family. If you live close to family you may want to consider getting together over a meal once a month. Maybe it won't be a home cooked meal, maybe it will be at a restaurant. The important part is to "break bread" with the ones you love and have family ties with.

Comments

Popular Posts