Give Honor Where Honor is Due




There are two women in my hometown that were instrumental in helping we get over self consciousness. The first lady was my piano and voice teacher Mrs. June Felhauser. She was a no nonsense type of person and expected me to practice the scales and music she gave me each week. If I came back to my lesson she knew right away if I had practiced each day.  When it came to my vocal lessons she would always tell me to sing from my diaphragm and not my throat if I wanted to be able to project my voice. 

I remember the first time I had a recital and had to play a song and then sing to her accompaniment. I was more tense about playing the piano piece than I was singing my solo. I remember the song was "When the Red, Red Robin Comes Bob Bob Bobbin Along." I don't remember any amplification back in those days but I believe everyone heard me sing thanks to her wonderful teaching skills.

The other lady was our church choir director and Glee Club teacher Mrs. Peggy Milnes. She was another teacher that pushed me past my comfort zone. I was very tall for my age and didn't want to stand out and when she told me I was going to sing a solo in one of our glee club competitions I was not sure I could do it.  It was her confidence in my ability not mine that helped me forget about my height and concentrate on doing my best for the school glee club.  I know we did well in that competition and it was because a music teacher saw potential in a student even if the student themself didn't see it.  
Mrs. Milnes
My glee club teacher
Mrs. Milnes when she retired

As I reflect on these two women in my life and see the direction my life has gone I know I have them to thank for all they instilled in me.  I didn't do a lot of singing past high school except in church choirs and didn't even play the piano that much but those ladies helped me get out of my shell and overcome the fear of man.

They didn't know that the direction of my life would involve a lot of public speaking. My husband and I have been in full time ministry for 30 years and that has required teaching and speaking at many events. I taught in our bible school for seven years, taught discipleship classes, traveled to many states in the U.S. and even in Canada and Scotland teaching seminars on church growth and small group ministry. I have also taught women's seminars and conferences. 

In some of the places we have spoken the leaders didn't always approve of women teaching in the church but with my husband's spiritual covering he would often introduce me to share a portion of our teaching. When I would look out and see disapproving faces I would remember my humble beginnings; singing at Mrs. Feldhauser's recitals and Mrs. Milnes glee club competitions and I knew these two women had helped prepare and mold me for speaking in public settings. 


I am sure there are teachers, coaches, and other mentors each of you can think about and be grateful for their influence in your life. I believe the best tribute we can give to these people is to pass on their mentoring and encouragement to the next generation.

Statistics show that 75% of people are afraid of public speaking. Hopefully you have a June or a Peggy in your life showing you that you can overcome that fear. I recently saw some public speaking tips on Pinterest and thought it would would be good to add to this blog.


Here are some scriptures you can stand on if you have fear of public speaking or fear of man.

 Timothy 1:7 - "For God has not given us a spirit of fear, but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind."

Proverbs 29:25 - "The fear of man brings a snare, but whoever trusts in the Lord shall be safe."

Jeremiah 1:8 - "Do not be afraid of their faces, for I am with you to deliver you says the Lord."








Comments

Popular Posts