The Power of One



I want to share in this blog the "the power of one." I believe that often people struggle with insignificance and don't feel their life is making much of a difference. But I want you to know that is not true as you will see in this testimony.

About forty years ago my husband Jerry, Mr. Calm, Cool, and Collected was on a search for more meaning to life. He had a great job at American Airlines, we had just bought a new home and furnishings. We had a wonderful marriage and yet he knew there was more to life than what he was experiencing.

A man he worked with at American began to share the good news of the gospel with him and at first my husband wasn't receptive to what Larry was saying.  But as time when on he became more open.  Larry gave my husband a sheet of paper with scriptures he could look up on his own to confirm what he was sharing with him. My husband put them in his tool box and went on with life.

Some time passed and Larry left his job at American and went to seminary to become a pastor.  In the meantime my husband began to think about the conversations they had at lunch. He had not grown up going to church so those conversations were somewhat foreign to his thinking. He brought that sheet of paper home one day and asked me if I had a bible so he could look up those scriptures. He found an unused Sunday School bible I had boxed up.  He had never read a bible so it took him a while to find all those scriptures Larry had written down. 

It was in December and we planned to attend a Christmas Eve Service and that night when the pastor explained the meaning of Christmas my husband's heart became open to all that Larry had shared with him. On Christmas Eve 1969 my husband asked Jesus into his heart.

A few months later I received Christ (that is another story) and we began to reach out to our family with this wonderful good news of the gospel.  

There was a ripple effect that took place after Larry shared the gospel with my husband. It was several years but eventually my parents and others in that generation became Christians, also our generation of siblings heard the gospel and received Christ. Then our children and many of their cousins received the Lord. Now our grandchildren are being raised in Christian homes and have made a commitment to the Lord. All of this happened because of one man named Larry sharing his faith on his lunch hour with my husband.  Four generations have been brought into the kingdom of God by this one person!

So the next time you see your life as insignificant remember Larry and how instrumental he was in our lives and our families lives. You can make a difference in your world because all it takes is the "power of one."


Comments

Popular Posts