Out With the Old and In With the New




This saying, "out with the old and in with the new" came to me when I received a gift for Christmas.  I had these metal measuring spoons that have served me well for over 48 years and my daughter thought it was time for new ones.  She had no idea how many recipes were made using these spoons for just the right amount of seasoning! 


My kitchen is full of "tried and true" cooking aides.  I found this large turquoise bowl that is all that is left of a set of four. It was a wedding gift 48 years ago. I had requested turquoise kitchen items as that was a popular color back in 1965. I had a turquoise hand mixer that just quit working about four years ago.


This hand held grater has grated a lot of cabbage, celery, onions and other items for recipes.  I now have a wonderful chopper that is much easier and not as hazardous to your fingers!


I believe that there is not only old items in our homes that may need replacing but there could be old though patterns, old habits, old mindsets that also need to be examines and changed.

After working 30 years in the pastoral ministry I have found that the younger generation of pastors do things different than the way I have ministered all these years. It isn't a matter of one is right and one is wrong it is simply a matter of being willing to learn from one another.  

I have to be willing to try new ways of reaching people. One of those is through the internet and social media. Not as many people in this day and age are open to having you knock on their door for a visit. Many want to meet at a neutral sight like a coffee shop. Some prefer an email over a phone call. Those methods don't seem as personal to me but if that is the way people want to communicate I have to be open to the new ways of communicating.

My personality is to be organized and plan out my day. I have used Day-Timers for years and now I am trying to switch over to electronic scheduling. I have an IPhone so you would say that should be easy but I find it very laborious. Hopefully by next year at this time I will be able to report that I have mastered electronic organization and planning. I definitely don't like the beep that the phone gives you of upcoming meeting or appointments. I want to say "excuse me I not only know I have that appointment but I am driving there as you beep!"

Then when it comes to old habits that I will save for another blog. I think this about all I can deal with at the beginning of this year. 

As I end this blog I am reminded that "most of life is everyday." I hope you have a blessed year!!
 










 

Comments

Popular Posts