Your Age is Just a Number

I am going to have a decade birthday in August and believe that this the statement, "your age is just a number" is really true. It is hard for me to realize that in reality, I am a certain age because I don't think of myself as old.

I know a lot of people like senior jokes but I think we have to be careful that we don't get a mindset of being old, decrepit, and losing our memory. We have to adjust our mental outlook on age and make a decision to keep moving and stay active. 
 
There are many things in the natural we can do to live long and live strong. I am reading a book by Gloria Copeland titled, "Live Long, Finish Strong." I see where I am doing many things right but also there are things I need to work on to be able to live long and finish strong.
 



Here are a few tips I have learned that have worked for me as I enter a new decade in my life.

How to live long and stay strong in your body:
  • Stay active by some form of exercise. I have some stretches that help me stay limber. Walking at the mall or in my neighborhood is how I exercise about four times a week. When I walk on a regular basis my joints are more limber. I also do some isometric exercises. (I have to admit that there are times I am sporadic in exercise but when I am consistent I do feel better)
  • Get the right amount of sleep each night.
  • Eat at least five fresh fruits and vegetables a day.
  • Drink at least six 8 oz glasses of water a day.
  • Take a daily multivitamin, I have to take Shaklee vitamins over 40 years and I definitely have more energy when I take them.
  • Have regular medical checkups.
  • Daily flossing can add years to your life. Poor oral health is related to a higher risk of heart disease and stroke.
  • Do your best to keep your weight down. (I am working on getting rid of some extra weight)

How to live long and stay strong in your mind:
  • Stay active in your mind by reading on a regular basis, take a class on some subject you would like more information on, do crossword puzzles, and word games. I like to play Scrabble and Seven Little Words on my iPhone. 
  •  By talking with others about current events or subjects that interest you. Don't make it a habit to talk only about "the good ole days," but stay relevant with the times we are living in.
  • Fill your mind with positive, faith-filled thoughts that drive out the negative and depressing thoughts that try to come your way.
  
How to live long and stay strong in your soul.
  • Be a person who forgives quickly, unforgiveness in a person's soul can age them, and make them bitter.
  • We were created to have relationships and friendships with other people. Go out of your way to be friendly and initiate conversations. Be the first one to invite a friend to breakfast, lunch, or coffee. Don't let a day go by that you have not had social interaction with other people. Don't just socialize with people your age but interact with all generations. Staying connected with other people will keep you upbeat and ward off depression, it will boost your body's immune system and help you live longer.
  • Find an area in your church or community to volunteer. When you are actively doing for others that have needs you are not thinking about yourself and problems or limitations in your life.
How to live long and stay strong in your spirit.
  • Make the decision to be happy and joyful. Laughter is the best medicine. Studies have shown that 15 minutes of laughter a day can improve blood flow to the heart by 50 %, which helps reduce heart disease.
  • Know that as long as you are breathing God has a plan for your life and that plan is for good.
  • Read God's word on a daily basis to help you keep focused on your divine purpose. Read the word, speak the word, do the word, meditate on the word, and memorize the word of God.
Here are some scriptures you can read that tells us we can truly have golden years!

Exodus 23:25-26
Deuteronomy 33:25b
Deuteronomy 34:7
Job 8:7
Job 42:12
Psalm 91:16
Psalm 92:14
Psalm 103:5
Proverbs 3:2
Proverbs 10:7
Proverbs 10:27
Proverbs 14:30
Isaiah 40:29
Isaiah 40:31
Matthew 13:16





 

Comments

Popular Posts