Strengthen your Foundation




Several years ago we had to shore up the foundation of our house.  Because of the clay soil which causes shifting and the possibility of the home builder not laying a strong foundation we began to get crack here and there. It was a large financial investment but it was worth it as now our home is sitting on concrete pillars and when the soil shifts our home remains firm.

Foundation means an underlying basis or principle for something. The basis on which something is founded. Foundation means beginning, base, starting point, cornerstone, core, or heart.


God’s Word tells us the importance of a having a strong and firm spiritual foundation so when the winds of change and adversity come we remain solid and strong. I Corinthians 3:11 “The foundation that has already been built is Jesus Christ, and no one can build any other foundation.”



The other day I thought of the words of the hymn, “My Hope Is Built on Nothing Less.”

My hope is built on nothing less than Jesus' blood and righteousness; I dare not trust the sweetest frame, but wholly lean on Jesus' name. On Christ, the solid Rock, I stand; all other ground is sinking sand.


When darkness veils His lovely face, I rest on His unchanging grace; In every high and stormy gale my anchor holds within the veil. On Christ, the solid Rock, I stand; all other ground is sinking sand.


His oath, His covenant, and blood support me in the whelming flood; when every earthly prop gives way, He then is all my Hope and Stay. On Christ, the solid Rock, I stand; all other ground is sinking sand.

Here are a few ways to firm up your spiritual foundation:
  • Be a doer of God's Word.
  • Be a forgiver.
  • Don't be envious of others.
  • Don't compare yourself with others.
  • Have a grateful heart.
  • Pray for people who have mistreated or hurt you.
  • Practice a life of love, acceptance, and forgiveness.
    I would encourage you to do a spiritual foundation check-up periodically  to make sure you don’t have cracks, shifting, or erosion in your faith.

Comments

Popular Posts