How my Scrapbooks Turned Sadness into Gladness in my Family.

I had no idea when I began to scrapbook all those years ago that it would be used to turn sadness into gladness in my family.


I made a three-generation heritage scrapbook of my husband's grandparents, parents, and him and his sisters. When my father-in-law passed away we took the scrapbook to the funeral home the day we had the viewing. When my husband's sisters looked through the scrapbook you could feel the sadness leaving and the good memories taking its place. It is amazing how that scrapbook was able to minister to his family!

My husband's grandparents and their children
My husband's mom, raised in the Dakota's and a cowgirl!
My in-laws during different seasons of their life
My husband and two of his sisters - farm life
My

When my mom and dad passed away my niece Cindi, who is my scrapbook buddy, helped me compile another scrapbook of my parents from adulthood to their senior years. We made a book for each of my siblings and older grandchildren. It was a long laborious act of love. We all got together on the one year anniversary of my mom's passing (my dad had passed away a few years before) and that scrapbook helped us get through a really tough day. We presented them each a scrapbook and then sat down and looked through the scrapbook and began to reminisce about different aspects of their life. What could have been a day of tears and sorrow became a day of remembering all the good times we had with our loved ones.
My parent's wedding picture
My dad was in the Navy during WW2
My daughters and granddaughter taking Christmas to my mom on her last Christmas
My mom's 91st birthday wish was to ride a motorcycle!


Last year my niece who does a lot of digital scrapbooks helped me do a three-generation scrapbook of my mother's family so that I could take it to a cousin reunion in Michigan. I hadn't seen some of those cousins for 20 or more years but that scrapbook bonded us together instantly.


I thought my scrapbooks were just a fun little hobby but were amazed at how much they brought joyful memories to our family!



Comments

Popular Posts