My Grandmother's Influence in my Life.

My grandparents were part of the generation that learned how to work hard to make a living and due to their tenacity they were able to succeed in their dreams




  
Grandma was tiny in stature but a mighty and industrious woman! It seemed that whatever she put her hand to was a success. Her and my grandpa raised six children in very hard times.   

 My grandmother Lillie Mae was part of my life beginning at birth. My mother lived with my grandparents while my dad was serving in the Navy during WW2. My first memories of her were when I was about 5 years old. I would see her bustling around making yummy recipes, canning, gardening, and tending to her beautiful rose garden. They lived in a small town and had a very charming home and it was always open to family and friends. She was a chef at a prestigious hotel in our hometown.

The day came when she decided to sell their home in town and move five miles out of town by a beautiful lake called Lake Margrethe. She purchased some land with a cabin that was built on a hill. They called the cabin Hill Top. There was no electricity or running water. She had a vision of turning this area into a resort and name it Eagle Point. The day came when she had built seven cottages and her own home and began to rent out the cottages. Many of the people who rented came back year after year. 



Regardless of how hard she worked to build her business she always had time for family. I remember her gathering up her grandchildren and taking us to berry picking and then she would can the fruit. She always hosted Sunday dinner at her home with family and friends.

 
One of our Sunday family dinners



I began to help her clean the cottages every weekend and we had to do a pristine job but also not lollygag as often people were waiting for us to finish so they could check-in and start their vacation.

The day came when I moved 200 miles away and tried to continue to go back to my hometown on the weekend to help her. It was about that time that I had my younger sister learn how to clean the cottages. When we were done it was time for us to put on our bathing suits and swim in beautiful Lake Margrethe, sunbath, or sit on the dock and put our feet in the water and have the minnows nibble on our toes. We worked hard but grandma always gave us some relaxing time at the end of the day.

She was a hard worker and saw to it that we were also. The only break she would take all day was to watch her favorite soap opera "As the World Turns", and" The Mike Douglas Variety Show." Even though she sat down for a spell she wouldn't be completely still and she would crochet while she watched "her shows."

Once all her guests were settled into their cabins Grandma would have me put the blue dye on her hair so she would look fashionable at church the next morning.


The things she taught me:
  • Be a person of vision
  • Don't be to busy that you don't have time for family
  • Dream big and go after it with gusto
  •  When you start a job you also finish it
  • Allow some "me time" even if you have your crochet hook in your hand
  •  Regardless of how hard you worked all week be sure you put on your "Sunday go meeting clothes", makeup and stylish hair color.

Thank you for taking a walk down memory lane with me as I shared my great memories of this wonderful woman in my life!


Grandma almost always wore an apron
My grandma enjoying our family Christmas Dinner the year Jerry and I got engaged.

PS: I didn't even share about what a great dear hunter she was as well as a master spearfisherman! You can read that story on the blog titled "I grew up in a Winter Wonderland."
 

Comments

Popular Posts