High School Reunion


This month is my 50th class reunion. I am not going to be able to attend as I have another commitment but it has brought back so many memories of my high school graduation. 
My graduation picture
I grew up in small-town America and you knew all the kids in your class as we had attended school together since elementary. There were only 59 of us that graduated in 1962.  

Here are some of the memories of that graduation. There were three nights of celebration.

The first night was a baccalaureate service which was a time where a local pastor brought an inspirational word to the graduates.
My dad is the shadow in this graduation picture
 The second night was called a class night. That was a night where awards were given for certain achievements. It was also a fun time where the graduates all voted on which students were the best and the worst in some area of their life. I was going through some of my mementos and found out I was voted the girl with the worst sense of humor and the best figure. I received a joke book and a calorie counting booklet. After fifty years I think my sense of humor has gotten a lot better and my figure has done some shifting around!

The third night was the commencement service where we received the charge to go forth and make a difference in our world.  The theme for our class was "The Higher We Climb, the Better the View." That was definitely a lofty goal. The commencement speaker's title was "As a Man Thinketh".  I don't remember any of that speech but I like the title as I know there is a scripture in Proverbs 23:7 that says, "As he thinks in his heart, so is he."
The big moment of receiving my diploma
Another memorable part of my senior year was the senior trip. I had never been out of Michigan so taking a bus trip to Washington D.C. was definitely quite memorable. I definitely enjoyed all the sightseeing. We toured the capitol (had a class picture taken in the front of it), the White House, Washington & Lincoln Monuments, Smithsonian Institute, Arlington Cemetery, Jefferson Memorial and Mt Vernon. I remember climbing the steps of the Washington Monument. Not sure if I did all 897 of them. I believe seeing all the U.S. history is part of what has made me a God and country kind of girl! 

 I am a "live in the now" type of person but once in a while, it doesn't hurt to walk down memory lane. Thanks for taking the walk with me on this particular blog. I will close with pictures of some of the sites I saw in Washington D.C.

U.S. Capitol




Washington Monument
The White House

Arlington Cemetery






Comments

Popular Posts