The Dangers of Drifting


I recently thought about an incident in my childhood that was pretty traumatic at the time.  My cousin and I had these large inner tubes that we used one day when we were out swimming in Lake Margrethe at my grandma's resort at Eagle Point in Grayling, Michigan.


Beautiful Lake Margrethe
 It was a beautiful day in northern Michigan and we had the afternoon to be together and we had lots to talk about.  We started to paddle out into the lake in those big inner tubes but as time went when on we just started to float and let the waves take over.  After quite some time we happened to turn around and realized we were about halfway across the lake in the very deep waters.  The lake was 3 miles long so we were about a mile and a half out in the middle of the lake!

This is the type of inner tubes we used

My cousin Sandra was a stronger swimmer than me and wasn't as concerned. I was shocked we were so far away from the shore and no one knew we were out there. Sandra said we just need to turn those tubes around and paddle back to shore. I had visions of never making it back to shore but I settled down and took her advice and began to paddle. It took us a long time but when we did get to shore I made a decision to never drift again and to keep my eyes on the shore in the future.
When we reached shore I was one happy girl!

A few definitions of drifting:
  •  to be carried by currents of air or water
  •  it is a driving movement or force
  •  it means to wander from a direct course
  •  to move about aimlessly without a destination
  •  a gradual departure from an intended course due to external influence. 
  • to drift also means float, be adrift, stray, wander, or roam.

There are times in all of our lives where we may begin to drift in life. It may not be literal drifting as I shared in my childhood story. But drifting can and does take place in our lives if we aren't alert.

Some areas we need to be aware of that drifting can take place: 
  • Our relationship with the Lord.
  • Our goals and dreams.
  • Our marriage relationship.
  • Our relationship with our children.
  •  Our moral values and convictions.
When we realize that we are becoming complacent in areas we once had deep convictions and passion it is time to turn around, look to the shore and paddle our way back to safety and solid ground.

  • Hebrews 2:1 - "Therefore we must give the more earnest heed to the things we have heard, lest we drift away."
  • Psalm 119:110 - "The wicked have laid a snare for me, yet I have not strayed from Your precepts."
  • Psalms 119:10 - "With my whole heart I have sought You; Oh, let me not wander from Your commandments!"

We live in a day and age where we must be focused and aware of our surroundings and where we are headed. It is not a time to be drifting away from the things of God. It is a time to press into the plans and purposes for our lives.

Until next time remember, "most of life is every day."








Comments

Popular Posts