Ten Tips for a Happy and Harmonious Marriage

Tomorrow is Valentine's Day and my husband and I will be teaching at a Marriage Encounter. I am looking forward to speaking into the lives of many couples and helping them strengthen their marriages.


When my husband and I were dating in the early 1960s a song by the Letterman was very popular and it always spoke what I was believing in marriage. The title of the song was, "When I Fall in Love." The first line of the song is "when I fall in love it will be forever." This year will be our 50th anniversary and I know that my husband was the man for me.

I will give you a sneak preview of a portion of our teaching on ten tips for a happy and harmonious marriage. The first five are my tips and the last five are my husband's tips.



TEN TIPS FOR A HAPPY AND HARMONIOUS MARRIAGE
1.     Tell your spouse you love them every day.  In almost 50 years of marriage, I don’t remember a day passing that my husband didn’t tell me he loved me. I say to my husband,  “I love you, Babe,” and he responds back, “I love you more.”

2.     It is never going to sleep angry. Truthfully we never argue but we do disagree at times and we know the word of God tells us to never go to sleep angry with one another.

3.     Be flexible and not always wanting your spouse to do only what you like to do. Finding things you like to do together. I don’t care for sports but I learned to sit down and be with my husband if he watches a football game. I like to shop and garage sale and he is willing to go with me.

4.     Regardless of your age or number of years being married show affection by holding hands, hugging, and definitely kissing one another.

5.     Laugh together. A merry heart does good like a medicine. We always find things to laugh about each and every day.

6.     Prefer one another; put the other person’s needs and wants above your own.

7.     Do “just because” deeds. It is a way of showing appreciation even if it isn’t a special occasion.

8.     Don’t forget birthdays, anniversaries, or Valentine’s Day. Also, don’t forget how long you have married.

9.     Dream together. What are your dreams and visions as a couple for the future?

10.    Practical tip – work the family budget together, both be involved in the finances. Set a monetary amount that you won’t spend without consulting your spouse.








Comments

Popular Posts