Home is Where the Heart is


There is a big difference between a house and a home. A house is basically a brick and mortar dwelling. A home is so much more.

Since I married my husband 46 years we have lived in seven states and thirteen different houses.  It took a lot of loving care to make those houses  a home.

  • A house is a dwelling or building for human habitation.
  • A home is ones residences, the social unit formed by a family living together, a congenial environment. 

  • God's word gives us a promise for our homes  - Isaiah 32:18 -"My people will dwell in a peaceful habitation, in secure dwellings, and in quiet resting places."   
Recently I was thinking about the home we now live in.  It is about 40 years old and we have done a lot of remodeling throughout the years. We have made a lot of wonderful memories in this home.  We moved in here when our daughters were preteens so they have had many parties, sleepovers, and other activities at our home.  They had prom pictures in the backyard by a beautiful climbing rosebush that was always in bloom. They had volleyball games in the backyard with friends. Then they brought to our home the young men that they wanted us to meet that eventually became their husbands. All of my grandchildren only know this as Mimi and Papa's home.


I was telling my husband the other day how this house has been something that they all claim as a home.  


  • My oldest grandson definitely claims the kitchen and always checks out what is in the pantry and refrigerator. When he was younger I would go to garage sales and purchase some of his favorite toys and fixed up a spare bedroom that was designated at Brooks room. 
  •  My three grandsons that are close in age Zachary, Jansen and Jonathan (the three amigos) have claimed my husband's office which is decorated more masculine with a built in bookcase on one wall, with lots of books and also some of his eagle collection. We also have several eagle pictures on the walls. It is more of a man cave with a TV, computer, and game machines. The boys call it the "guy cave."
  • My granddaughter Kate calls my office/scrapbook room her room as we have her Barbies, baby dolls, and dollhouse are in that room. 
  • My youngest grandson learned well from the other five because just last week he referred to a spare room that has cars, trucks, and tinker toys as "Owen's room." 
So I told my husband that seeing as the grandchildren claim all those rooms that I think the only rooms that are ours would be one bedroom, living room and one bathroom. Since each of my grandchildren have a place in my heart I don't see why they shouldn't have a designated place in my home.

Back row - Zachary, Brooks and he is holding Owen, Front row - Jonathan, Kate, Jansen

Comments

Popular Posts