Have You Ever Been Called a Drama Queen?


One day when my granddaughter Kate was over she was getting ready to watch a Barbie DVD and play with her Barbie dolls. She was chatting away and said that she was the princess, Papa could be the king, and I could be the drama queen. I was speechless for a moment and then she added, "Oh, my brother says that to me all the time." Then I realized that she thought that being a drama queen was a good thing. When I told her mom about the conversation she said, "I think I need to explain to her that it is not a good thing to call people." We all got a good laugh out of her innocent remark but it got me thinking about exactly what is a drama queen.


Here are a couple great definitions. 
When I read these definitions I thought if we would be honest there is probably some drama queen in all of us at times.  I will share a recent experience I had that would probably fit these definitions.


We recently were asked to do a ministry workshop at a conference in Chicago. They advertised our workshop and sent us airline tickets. A few days before the trip I began to not feel well. I went to the doctor and they gave me a prescription for the symptoms but I was only on them two days before the trip.  


We flew on a small American Airlines Eagle plane and when we began descending I felt pain in one ear and both ears plugged up. I felt like I was in a tunnel. I have never had an ear ache in my life, never had my ears plug when I flew and I have this off the chart hearing ability.  So needless to say it freaked me out. My sweet calm, cool, and collected husband said swallow, hold your nose and blow, and when I did that made my ears have a crackling sounds which only freaked me out more.  


When we landed I had to use the ladies restroom and my ears were still plugged so I told my husband to stay right by the restroom as I didn't want to lose him as I didn't think I could call him as I didn't know if I would be able to hear him.  I texted my daughters and asked them to agree with me for my ears to unplug and had our pastor who was on the trip also pray for me.


As we were on our way to our hotel after numerous swallowing, much holding my nose and blowing, finally my ears unplugged. I was one happy camper. I texted my daughters and pastor and told them thanks for the prayer of agreement I was back hearing every little sound.


I was a little concerned on our return trip so I decided to buy gum at the airport before I boarded. I don't usually chew gum as it makes my jaws crack but thought it would be better than plugged ears.  Well sure enough it started up again about half way back to Tulsa. So I chewed for all I was worth, I swallowed and swallowed, I blew my nose over and over. I think the guy across the aisle was wondering what is wrong with that lady, she is continually chewing, blowing, and swallowing repeatedly. But it did help and I got back to Tulsa in good shape. I did tell my husband I wasn't in a hurry to jump on an airplane again for a while.


I have to admit in hindsight I was probably a little too dramatic but then I thought about the endorsement I had received from my granddaughter a few days before, "Mimi you can be the drama queen." I think I lived up to her pronouncement. 


So how many of you will admit there are times you would fit into this definition of a... 





Comments

Popular Posts