It's a Boy!!


 

I was so excited when our daughter told us she was pregnant with our first grandchild. I went to a couple of her doctor appointments and got to hear the baby's heartbeat and saw a couple ultrasounds. We were not getting pictures that cooperated with showing us whether she was having a boy or girl, so the doctor was leaning towards a girl but did tell my daughter to not go out and buy a lot of frilly dresses or paint the nursery pink as he just wasn't sure. 


I was blessed to be with Matt & Shana as her alternate coach when the baby was born.  In the spring Shana had a 9 lb baby boy,  My husband was waiting outside the room and when he was born I screamed out, "It's a boy!" For me, it was love at first sight!


I had raised two daughters and only shopped the pink aisles at Walmart, Target, and Toys"R" Us, so I begin shopping the blue aisles. Wow, that was a whole new world for me; trucks, cars, trains, and planes.  It also didn't take me long to realize little boys come with built-in sound effects of these miniature forms of transportation. 

I assumed that our grandchildren would call us grandma and grandpa and wasn't sure I like the southern names of Mimi, Memaw, and Grammy, etc. I didn't know my daughter liked these southern names and she began to teach Brooks who we were.  One day he came over and in the middle of his playtime, he called me Memaw. When I heard that word come out of his little mouth my heart melted and it was the most wonderful word I had ever heard! 


I have enjoyed every season of Brooks's life. There was a time when he was 18 months old that Matt and Shana moved to Little Rock, Arkansas. When she told me I said, "You are not taking Brooks are you?" She looked at me real strange and said, "Yes, we planned to take him with us." I replied, "I think there should be a law against taking grandchildren out of state."  We would make the trip to Little Rock about every two or three weeks to see the little guy and our daughter and son-in-law. We actually wore out a set of tires making that trip for a year and a half.




When they moved back to Tulsa he was  3 years old and I once again was able to enjoy all the different seasons of his life; Sesame Street, Matchbox cars and trucks, Legos, Star Wars, Nintendo, Game Box, and the list goes on and on.

Brooks would line his cars up just like this
He had bins and bins of Legos
The second generation of Star War fans
Brooks was so excited when he got his first Nintendo


When Brooks got older he began to love Oriental food. So now he and my husband have lunch and discuss spiritual things, history facts, current events, and our life experiences.
Brooks and Papa having male bonding time over food!

Not too long ago Brooks called me up and wanted to take me out to breakfast. Here is a picture of my 6ft 2in handsome grandson.
Me and my first grandchild, Brooks

Brooks was always a good student and recently finished his first year at college and is on the President's Honor Roll. He is an usher for the college and career service at our church.  He is a wonderful big brother to Jansen and Owen.  He also helps his dad in their renovation business. He has good self-esteem and doesn't have a problem hanging out with family.

Brooks with his younger brothers Jansen and Owen

My husband and I have a wonderful relationship with all of our grandchildren, but Brooks was the one that paved the way for the others. I would say more than anything Brooks came into my life at a time when I needed to not be so work-focused. When I was with him I found a refreshing and knew he was good for my soul.  Thank you, Brooks, for being such a wonderful part of my life for the last 19 years!


Happy Birthday to my teenage grandson!!
Happy Birthday to my adult grandson!!



Comments

  1. Mrs. Popenhagen, what an incredible tribute to Brooks. He is very blessed to have you and your husband as his grandparents.
    Blessings,
    Melissa (King) Murray

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts