Tips for Healthy Eating - Salad in a Jar

I started Weight Watcher 3 years ago and lost 60 lbs and have kept it off!  Weight Watcher's 3 pillars are Mindset, Food, and Exercise. I keep my mind active and positive. I walk 5 times a week and do my best to get 10,000 steps a day. I eat healthy food and keep track of my portions.

This blog is about the pillar of eating healthy and how to make it doable in a very busy world that we live in.
At one of my workshops, a lady talked about "Mason Jar Salads." I had never heard of such a thing and after the meeting, I asked her to tell me more about these salads. When I left the meeting I went to the store and bought a dozen large Mason Jars. 

I made my grocery list of items we like in our salads and the adventure began! When a Facebook friend saw my first attempt making these salads she gave me a book titled "Salad in a Jar" by Anna Helm Baxter. This book along with a google search helped me know the process a little better. Here is one of my first attempts making these delicious salads!







Benefits of making these salads: 
  • You are not takings vegetables and fruit in and out of the refrigerator on a daily basis to make a salad.
  • If you are tired after a full day at work you have your salad already made.
  • There is so much versatility in these salads.
  •  You will be eating healthy fresh food daily.
  • The salads last 5-7 days in the refrigerator.
Steps in making these salads:
1. Make a grocery list of the fruit, vegetables, beans, meat, cheese, dressing and other toppings you like.
2. You put the dressing in the bottom of your jar.
3. Then add wet food such as celery, peppers, beans, carrots...
4. Then add the meat you like, I use the white meat of Sam's rotisserie chicken or Canadian bacon. 
5. Then add your salad greens of choice, I use romaine and spinach most of the time.
6. Top it off with pecans, dried cranberries, cheese, croutons, etc, etc.

It is wonderful to look in the refrigerator after a full day and know you have a healthy salad waiting for you!!

 


Comments

Popular Posts