Experiencing New Things Through the Eyes of a Child

I recently went to the Nutcracker Ballet with my daughter Lisa and my five year old granddaughter Kate Elizabeth. My daughter had gone before, but it was the first time for Kate and I.

From the moment my daughter picked me up until I got home Kate was smiling ear to ear. She had excitement pouring out of her and she could hardly contain herself. She was all dressed up in a darling black and white dress with a bow and a buckle on the waist. She wore black tights and black shoes and a darling black bow in her curled hair. She had a teddy bear that was also wearing the same dress that she wore. She brought the teddy bear with us, but it had to stay in the car.

During the performance she clapped and clapped at the appropriate times and would make comments like, "It is perfect, I am so excited, and I love it!" When she heard the song, Sugar Plum Fairy, she gasped and was so thrilled. She kept that smile on her face all afternoon showing a deep dimple in her left cheek.


After it was over we let her pick out a souvenir and she choose a tree ornament of a ballerina. I am sure every year she sees that ornament she will remember her first time seeing the Nutcracker Ballet.


For me I am not sure which I enjoyed the most, Kate or the ballet. Maybe it was a little bit of both!



Comments

Popular Posts