The Gift of Hospitality





The word hospitality can be an intimidating word to some people. They would never think of opening their home to others for a meal and conversation. 

I was blessed to have a grandmother and mother who always had the percolator on the stove and desserts in the pantry and welcomed family and friends into their homes at the drop of a hat.

There are always reasons and roadblocks we have for not opening our home. Here are a few I have heard.
  • My home is not neat and tidy.
  • I don't have nice furniture.
  • My home is cluttered.
  • My home is to small for guests.
  • I don't have nice dishes to serve food.
  • I have too many household projects that need to be done, walls painted, carpets cleaned, furniture updated and the list goes on.
I have always loved to invite people over to my home and I don't have the most updated furniture and decor but I don't think my guests really care about those things. Time and time again the most comments I receive is that my home is so peaceful. Isaiah 32:18 says, "My people shall dwell in a peaceable habitation, and in sure dwellings, and in quiet resting places. The best atmosphere we can offer someone is a peaceful home. 

The home I now live in is 50 years old and we have done some renovation and remodeling throughout the years but overall no one mentions any of that. I have been wanting to update my couch and love seat because it has a granny floral pattern. It is in great shape so I can't justify purchasing a new one and no one has made any comments on what a dated couch I have.

Throughout the years I have had many people tell me they loved visiting our home and what it meant to them. I have hosted many family events, ladies bible studies, couples events, neighborhood events, friends of my daughters, and the list goes one. 

Recently I invited five ladies over for lunch and the focus of our time together was to listen to one of the ladies who was going through a stressful time in her life and just needed to have someone to talk to and show concern and compassion.


I encourage you to change your view on hospitality and reach out to a couple people and invite them to your home for conversation, coffee, and dessert. In time you may want to invite someone over for an evening meal along with the great conversation. 



Comments

Popular Posts