Would you Pray for American Like You Would a Friend?


I recently read a newsletter from a lady in our church, Nancy Huff, who has a wonderful ministry here in the U.S. but also to other countries. She had this excerpt in her latest newsletter that really touched my heart and I asked her if I could share it in my blog.
Excerpt from Nancy Huff's newsletter: 
Title: Would you Pray for America Like you Would a Friend? 
"Many people are very concerned about their safety and talk about how the United States is under judgment and the government will fail.  They say it's just a short time away. I agree that American needs help, she is sick. But how would we react if we had a good friend who was in sin and was sick because of her sin?  What if that person had done a lot of good deeds and was trying to get well? What if that person's friends turned against her and she needed help?  What if she was broke and needed financial help? What if she had been exploited by people who had taken advantage of her? What if she had a lot of people depending on her for help and if she died, then they would also suffer?  What if the friend, when recovered, would engage in even greater humanitarian acts than she had ever done before?  Would you pray for that friend?  Yes, every one of us would pray for such a friend. America is that friend who needs our prayers for health and healing. Now is not the time to turn against America and watch her go downhill--Now is the time to rise up in faith and believe God for her healing!"

This renewed my determination to not look at circumstances but continue to pray for America. 


Once a year in May we have the National Day of Prayer. The National Day of Prayer is a vital part of our heritage. Since the first call to prayer in 1775, when the Continental Congress asked the colonies to pray for wisdom in forming a nation, the call to prayer has continued through our history, including President Lincoln's proclamation of a day of "humiliation, fasting, and prayer" in 1863. In 1952, a joint resolution by Congress, signed by President Truman, declared an annual, national day of prayer. In 1988, the law was amended and signed by President Reagan, permanently setting the day as the first Thursday of every May. Each year, the president signs a proclamation, encouraging all Americans to pray on this day. Last year, all 50 state governors plus the governors of several U.S. territories signed similar proclamations.

 I have to admit that there have been times I looked at what was happening in America and one time I said, "Where is the America I grew up in?" I felt like my children and grandchildren were growing up in an America that was very different than the one I remember growing up in.  But I love America and I am a very patriotic person. I cry when the national anthem is sung, I love to see our flag flying high, I love to vote, I appreciate the military men and women who help our nation and others nations remain free.  So I have determined to pray for America like I would a friend!




 

Comments

Popular Posts